Area colleges hosting card writing and other activities October 25
From HandsOn Genesee
In honor of Make a Difference Day, five Flint area colleges and universities are hosting a joint effort to write cards and letters to U.S. military service members. Baker College of Flint, Davenport University, Kettering University, Mott Community College and University of Michigan-Flint are all participating. HandsOn Genesee, the volunteer center for Flint and Genesee County is providing support for the effort.
On Thursday, October 25, from 9am-4pm, each school will set up a table in a central area with supplies for students, staff and community members to write cards and letters to members of the U.S. military serving overseas. Volunteers will staff each site.
Locations for card and letter writing activities include:
- Baker College of Flint, Student Center, 1050 W. Bristol Rd, Flint
- Davenport University, Room 103, 4318 Miller Rd., Flint
- Kettering University, Great Court in the Campus Center, 1700 University Ave. (formerly Third Ave.)
- Mott Community College, Curtice-Mott Complex, 1401 E. Court St., Flint
- University of Michigan, Flint, University Center, 3rd Floor, 303 E. Kearsley St., Flint
Kits are also available for classroom use. They include 40 pre-printed pictures that children can color and write a note to a U.S. service member. Kits can be requested through HandsOn Genesee, (810)232-6285 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Area residents are also welcome to write their own cards and letters or have their children create pictures with notes of encouragement and mail them to: HandsOn Genesee, 1401 S. Grand Traverse, Flint, MI 48503. The deadline to receive them is November 16, 2012. Cards, letters and drawings will be forwarded to the troops through agencies with programs set up for this purpose. All cards and letters are pre-screened before being forwarded.
People are also encouraged to come up with their own ways of making a difference. Share those through social media on Twitter @MDDay, #MDDay12 or on Facebook, www.facebook.com/MakeADifferenceDayFlint.
The official Make a Difference Day is Saturday, October 27. In order to allow more students to participate the campuses are holding their events two days early. Make a Difference Day is a national day of service sponsored by USA WEEKEND Magazine. Each October millions of volunteers around the world unite in a common mission to improve the lives of others. Make a Difference Day is a day to celebrate the power of people to use their time, talent, voice and money to create change.
- Maureen Miller, Baker College of Flint, (810) 766-8752
- Wilma Mitchell, Davenport University, (810) 732-9977
- Essence Wilson, Kettering University, (810) 762-9911
- Karla Turner, Mott Community College, (810) 762-5148
- Gary Ashley, University of Michigan-Flint, (810) 424-5458
- Julia Zaher, HandsOn Genesee, (810) 232-6285
The five colleges are part of Flint Corps, an effort to combine and strengthen the volunteer efforts among the schools.